Sunday, March 17, 2013

Road to Recovery

Well it's been a little over a week now that I had the fasciotomy procedure done. This week has been full of.... SLEEP! I feel like I have been in hibernation sleeping 10-12 hours a night and taking 2-3 hour naps after lunch! I honestly don't know what I am going to do this coming week at work; I better pull out the kindergarten nap time mat!!!

After the surgery it was a little hard to walk, especially with the crutches, but the pain was never really bad for me. I took the pain medicine through Tuesday and decided I didn't need it anymore. On Wednesday I only used one crutch and that thing just got in the way. After stubbing my toe on it and pinching my arm between the crutch and a chair, I decided I was totally over them! I finally ditched those by Thursday (6 days after the procedure)! NOTE: I am still walking like an 80+ year old grandma, but I am getting around!

Dr. Davis bragged on me at my follow up appointment on Friday and of course I have to share... I got the label of a "Tough Patient" since I only took my pain meds for a few days and because I was there without crutches! After the nurse re-wrapped my legs and I started my long journey up the 20 foot hallway, Dr. Davis caught up to me (easily!) and said again how impressed he was of me walking without crutches. I was thrilled!

The only bad things I have experienced this week while recovering is:

1. Sleeping on my back with my feet and legs elevated.
2. The incisions on my legs.

You are probably thinking well that's not bad; I completely agree. If the worst part of the past week was sleep issues and the looks of an incision (I almost passed out the first time I seen them...) then I am doing pretty durn good. I obviously caught up on my sleep and the incisions will get better with time.... sooner than later I hope. Until then, I will wear my fair share of maxi dresses this spring!

So all in all, I am extremely happy (so far) with choosing this path. I absolutely can not wait to get back out on the track. It will be a slow start, but eventually I will be running stronger than before. Until next time... XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment